These savoury pancakes were a total hit, they are a fantastic weekend brunch treat! They are super quick to make and the mixture of tangy goats cheese, butternut squash and optional chorizo is delicious. They are also gluten free if you use gluten free flour!
If you are veggie you can take the chorizo out and the pancakes are delicious on their own!
Makes 4 pancakes (enough for 2 people)
All you need:
150g Gluten free self-raising flour or normal self raising flour if your not gluten free.
250ml almond milk (or can use normal milk)
1 tsp baking powder
80g goats cheese (any type)
200g butternut squash
60g of chorizo (optional)
Dash of olive oil
I served them with a side of fried wilted spinach, fried in olive oil, salt and pepper.
1. Dice the butternut squash and fry in a pan with a dash of olive oil for about 8 minutes until slightly soft. Cut the chorizo into slices then quarters and in another pan fry the chorizo until crispy.
2. Meanwhile, chop or crumble the goat’s cheese into cubes.
3. Place the flour and baking powder into a bowl and mix in the egg and almond milk, mix well into a smooth batter.
4. Add the butternut squash and goats cheese to the flour batter with a little salt.
5. Take the chorizo out of the pan and set aside. Wipe most of the oil from the chorizo pan but leave enough to cook the pancakes. If you want to cook spinach with the pancakes this is a great time to chuck it into the used butternut squash pan with a dash of oil and salt.
6. Divide the mixture into 4 pancakes and cook until they are springy in the middle and golden on each side.
7. Serve with the chorizo pieces sprinkled on top and spinach on the side.
Enjoy for your Sunday Brunch!
BSc Sports Science, Women’s Fitness Specialist and Personal Trainer